Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What is "Organic Gardening"?

What is organic gardening?  It seems like an innocuous question, but the answer is really more complicated than most people think.

Here is one definition I found: 

Organic gardening rejects the use of all artificial agricultural chemicals, including pesticides 
used to control insects, diseases and weeds. Organic gardeners differ concerning which, if any, 
naturally derived pesticides are permissible and when and how they may be used. 
Most organic gardeners consider soils to be a living system and reject artificial chemical 
fertilizers as harmful to the soil and the environment. Organic gardeners emphasize building soil 
organic matter and then rely on natural sources of supplemental nutrients. Many people garden 
organically because of concern over pesticide residues on food. 

The alternative is "conventional" gardening.  

I guess my point is this:  Organic gardening IS conventional!  It is the original form of gardening used for eons and eons before the advent of petroleum based, "conventional" fertilizers, pesticides and a host of other chemically derived interventions.

Soil IS a living system.  There is an entire world of nematodes, fungi, bacteria, and insects that we never see; living organisms that create a food chain (known as the soil food web) that releases nutrients and gives plants what they need to grow strong, healthy and productive. It isn't just "building soil organic matter".  Soil is not an inert growing medium. Soil is literally pulsing with life.  

To douse my soil with pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides would be counterproductive and, to me, unethical.  I nurture my soil and my plants and in turn, I am nurtured.  What could be more organic than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment